(photos by Dr. Esther Han)
Last Thursday we had a party to celebrate Dr. Barry Tannen’s retirement from SUNY. Don’t worry, he isn’t retiring from practice, just his SUNY (1 day per week) gig. Dr. Tannen has been a faculty member at SUNY for 30+ years. He has interacted with students and residents too numerous to count, on both sides of the optometric education world–clinical and didactic.
Dr. Tannen and I worked together on Thursdays. Every Thursday afternoon, like clockwork, I observed Dr. Ken Ciuffreda coming down to the 5th floor (home of Vision Therapy and Rehabilitation). The two of them would huddle over Dr. Tannen’s laptop, and then, after a brief gestation period, a paper would be born.
As “solo” writers, Drs. Tannen and Ciuffreda are no slouches! They have each written countless papers on a variety of topics across the vision therapy and rehabilitation spectrum. As a team, they have made it very clear that 1+1 does not equal 2, but instead a very large number that is yet to be determined.
Although Dr. Tannen will no longer be spending Thursdays on the 5th floor at 33 West 42nd Street in the heart of midtown Manhattan, his affiliation with SUNY will continue. He will be “guest lecturing” and hosting SUNY 4th year students in his practice. His writing partnership with Dr. Ciuffreda will undoubtedly continue. Their next co-authored paper is already “in press.”
Looking for something to read? Here are 21 citations from Team Tannen and Ciuffreda.
- Ciuffreda K, Tannen B, Ludlam D. Nystagmus, strabismus, and amblyopia – Clinical interactions and implications: A perspective. Vision Dev & Rehab 2017; 3(1):7-9.
- Ciuffreda K, Ludlam D, Tannen B, Yadav N. Brock string and the horopter: A perspective. Vision Dev & Rehab 2016;2(4):208-10.
- Tannen B, Rogers J, Ciuffreda K, Lyon E, Shelley-Tremblay J. Distance horizontal fusional facility (DFF): A proposed new diagnostic test for concussion patients. Vision Dev & Rehab 2016; 2(3):170-75.
- Ciuffreda K, Tannen B, Ludlam D.Writing a publishable paper – where do I start? A perspective. Vision Dev & Rehab 2016;2(1):7-10.
- Tannen B, Darner R, Ciuffreda K, Shelley-Tremblay J, Rogers J. Vision and reading deficits in post-concussion patients: A retrospective analysis. Vision Dev Rehab 2015; 1(3) 225-232.
- Ciuffreda K, Ludlam D, Tannen, B. Concussion in the twenty-first century: An optometric perspective. Vision Dev Rehab 2015 1(3) 204-205.
- Tannen B, Desmond AM, Shelley-Tremblay J, Ciuffreda KJ, Larson SM. Correlation of magnocellular function with measurements of reading in children. Vision Dev & Rehab, 2015;1(2):109-118.
- Scheiman M, Ciuffreda KJ, Thiagarajan P, Tannen B, Ludlam DP. Objective assessment of vergence and accommodation after vision therapy for convergence insufficiency in a child: A case report. Optom Vis Perf 2014 2(1):7-12.
- Patel R, Ciuffreda K, Tannen B, Kapoor N. Elevated coherent motion thresholds in mild traumatic brain injury. Optometry 2011;82, 284-89.
- Critical Flicker Frequency (CFF) is reduced in children with suspected reading disability. Tannen B, Ciuffreda K, Tannen N. Poster presented at Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) Annual Meeting 2011
- Tannen B, Ciuffreda K, Tannen N. Objective measurements of reading speed and efficiency improve in children following vision therapy: A retrospective analysis. Presentation of Paper, College of Optometrists in Vision Development (COVD) Annual Meeting 2010
- Tannen B, Ciuffreda K. A proposed addition to the standard protocol for the Visagraph II Eye Movement Recording System. J Behav Optom 2007; 18:143-147
- Simkhovich D, Ciuffreda K, Tannen B. Successful biofeedback therapy in an acquired brain injury exotrope. J Behav Optom 2006; 17:93-96.
- Clavero M, Ciuffreda K, Werner DL, Tannen B. A 13-year follow-up of a case of Wallenberg’s syndrome: first-person account and ocular motor abnormalities. Optometry 2002;73(1):694-699.
- Multi-Sensory feedback therapy for oculomotor dysfunction (Chapter 21). In: Models of the Visual System. Hung, G.K., and Ciuffreda, K.J. (eds), New York City: Kluwer/Plenum, 2002.
- Ciuffreda K, Tannen B. Training of nystagmus: a multi-sensory approach. J Behav Optom 1999; 10:63-66.
- Cooper J, Ciuffreda K, Carniglia P, Zinn K, Tannen B. Orthoptic treatment of a patient with Guillain Barre Syndrome. Neuro Ophthalmol 1995;15( 5):249-256.
- Birnbaum M, Ciuffreda K, Tannen B. Peripheral awareness in the treatment of an unusual neuromotor vision disorder. J Optom Vis Develop 1994;25:253-258.
- Ciuffreda K, Tannen B. Eye Movement Basics for The Clinician (textbook). St. Louis: Mosby-Yearbook 1995.
- Ong E, Ciuffreda K, Tannen B. Static accommodation in congenital nystagmus. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1993;34:194-204.
- Fischer S, Ciuffreda K, Tannen B, Super P. Stability of Tonic Vergence. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1988;29:1577-81.